General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Truck & Transportation History

Home Search Tags

Ford N series/GVWR

Posted By Jeff Wright Tuesday, July 27, 2021 9:08 AM
Add to Favorites0
Jeff Wright
 Posted Tuesday, July 27, 2021 9:08 AM

. - (11,791 reputation). - (11,791 reputation). - (11,791 reputation). - (11,791 reputation). - (11,791 reputation). - (11,791 reputation). - (11,791 reputation). - (11,791 reputation). - (11,791 reputation)

Group: Forum User
Last Active: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 1:20 PM
Folks I need a little help. So I have a 1969 Ford N series truck. It's a NT-850-D to be specific. I was siting around the house trying to stay cool today, so I decided to look at the vin/data plate on the truck just to get the specifics on it, as I'm in the process of restoring it. So as I was looking through my 1969 shop manual as I was decoding all the numbers on the vin/date plate. What I have found in the past, but it didn't hit me until today was a curiosity of the GVWR. As in my shop manual and on the vin/date plate, it shows the GVWR to be 27000lbs. This has struck me as being odd, because when I was looking at the axle codes, I have a 12000lbs front axle with 34000lbs rears. I thought that is kinda strange. I thought the axle ratings helped govern the GVWR. The history that I know about the truck, is what little paperwork I found in the glove box, along with what the gentleman I bought it off of told me. I bought it off of the 3rd owner in it's life, I now being it's 4th owner. The 3rd owner that I bought it off of told me that it was a semi tractor and that the hardwood company he had bought it off of had taken the fifth wheel off, and extended the tail end of the frame to put a big water tank on it. He said that they were using it on the lumber yard, to water the yard down. The second owner which had this truck (the hardwood company), had it about 90 percent of it's life. From some paperwork I found in the glove box, it looked liked they bought it off of a construction company, when the truck was about 8-9 years old. That construction company is no longer around, as to where I can find any history on it from them. I say all that to say this, if this truck was being used and is truly a semi tractor from original birth, then why does it have a GVWR of 27000lbs? Just to reiterate it has tandem rears, and is a factory diesel, with a NH250 Cummnins, along with a 10 speed direct 910 Fuller trans.

Thanks, Jeff

Grab another gear and keep on trucking!