General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Truck & Transportation History

Home Search Tags

Coolant Filter plumbing, Humding, 22. Oct 2006 06:36

Posted By Eddy Lucast Friday, February 08, 2008 6:49 AM
Add to Favorites0
Eddy Lucast
 Posted Friday, February 08, 2008 6:49 AM

. - (466,528 reputation). - (466,528 reputation). - (466,528 reputation). - (466,528 reputation). - (466,528 reputation). - (466,528 reputation). - (466,528 reputation). - (466,528 reputation). - (466,528 reputation)

Group: Forum User
Last Active: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:19 AM
Coolant Filter plumbing, Humding, 22. Oct 2006 06:36
View ( Messsage | Thread ) Previous discussion thread Next discussion thread
Hello all,
The coolant "filter" on the Cummins NT 290 in my 72' KW W900 had been disconnected before I got it. I have been advised to reconnect it but I have a problem in that I am not certain how it is to be connected. There is a tap with a hose tail on the back of the oil cooler which i assume is one connection. There are two plugs out near the front of the engine on the same side which I am told should be the second connection. Can anybody let me know if this is correct and if so which direction does rhe collant flow (to plumb it correctly).
Also what are the power ratings for an NT290?

Thanks in advance.
Previous discussion thread Next discussion thread

Re: Coolant Filter plumbing, dusty nelson, 22. Oct 2006 07:41
you relly dont need to put a coolant filter on . just another place to leak. just add 1 pint of nykool to coolingsystem and test it with test strips every 12000 miles...

Re: Coolant Filter plumbing, chrisL, 22. Oct 2006 08:38
The instructions on the back of the additive bottle say 1 pint for every 3 gallons of coolant. Got 4 pionts in my Cummins.

Re: Coolant Filter plumbing, Humding, 23. Oct 2006 11:15
what is Nycool? I've never heard of it this side of the Atlantic. I assume when you talk about test strips you are measuring the pH of the coolant.

Re: Coolant Filter plumbing, Frank Surber, 23. Oct 2006 11:35
NALCOOL just type that into a google or yahoo search
what it is as a fust inhibitor that is poured into the cooling system it also has a slight amount of lubrication ability. it helps to reduce contaminants in the cooling system as well
Frank in Kuwait AKA High Tech Redneck
f_s482000@yahoo.com
http://frankinkuwait.bravehost.com

Re: Coolant Filter plumbing, John Costley, 24. Oct 2006 01:07
Yup, slows down electrolisis ( worse than rust ) too.Humding, youre 290 is rated at 290 HP, should be at 2,100 rpm in '72, dont think there were any low rpm versions then but I could be wrong.Torque would be around 900 ft lbs at 1,500 rpms.Not much by todays standards, but they got the job done back before the roads were clogged with traffic.John

Re: Coolant Filter plumbing, jim k tomer, 24. Oct 2006 01:48
my take
...if ya got the coolant filter... RUN IT
...they plumb just like a circulatin block heater'''''
....one side is on the top side of the coolant system...[above the thermostat]
the other side is on the bottom side....[below the thermostat]
.....or in anouther words ....above and below the water pump suction and discharge

...dont really matter ....which direction it [the coolant] goea through the filter head

...we always check the PH of our coolant
.....the addition of the filters ......adds to the protection of electrolisise
...as the they have a ;;;timed;; dispersent of the necc additives.....ta reduce liner pitting

most dont realize that electrolixes on the outter part of cyl liners is the direct result
of improper coolant .......improper PH....air leaks in the coolant systaem
.....even a bad rad cap ...or leakin rad core

...if coolant;s gettin out.......air is comin in
..esp on a wet block

...outside liner pitting is usully the direct result of air bubbles ;;;bursting;; in side the engine.......each time a bubble ...burst;;; it take a minute piece a metal with it
.......we run the water filters [and it will amaze ya what they entrap]
and we still occasionaly have problems

many still disregard the diff between ....low silicate antifreeze..... and the car garbage ya get at your local ;;; wallmart store...[some still think anti freeze is only anti freeze]
......not so..
.[even with the additives]
.......jim k tomer .....the altar boy

Re: Coolant Filter plumbing, Humding, 24. Oct 2006 11:19
Our Cummins agent told me the same horsepower rating and I didn't really believe him. I bought it as a 400 hp. My brother who used to drive a 420hp Volvo everyday said the KW would leave it sitting. He was estimating it was 450 - 500 hp. The turbo is large on it especially the exhaust turbine. BTW it is a 1978 engine and not the original 1972 one.

Re: Coolant Filter plumbing, John Costley, 24. Oct 2006 12:24
Humding,
If its putting out more than 290 hp then its not an NT290 anymore,lol.The numbers that Cummins stamps on the tag are the factory HP rating.Where the HP rating ends up after someone modifies it, who knows ?.If its been played with you would have to have it dyno'd to know for sure.The 290s did use a big impellar on the cold side and I have heard of guys getting 450 to 500 hp out of a 290, they just didnt get it for long.Heres a good site for a little Cummins reading. http://www.dieselinjection.net/frames.html Click on the horsepower&torque articles in the lefthand menu. Start at the begining and read it all.John

Re: Coolant Filter plumbing, Humding, 24. Oct 2006 15:01
Thanks John,
What I know about Cummins engines at the moment could be written on a postage stamp. I gave the Cummins agent here the engine number (spec plate mising) and he came back telling me it was a 1978 NT290. Other than I haven't an idea what it is other than it has Big Cam cast into the block.

Eddy Lucast

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com

man with wooden truck should be wary of "truck whisperer" with torch