General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Truck & Transportation History

Home Search Tags

I guess I'm going to be a Truck Driver!

Posted By Jolly Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:57 PM
Add to Favorites0
Jolly
 Posted Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:57 PM
ATHS Member

ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)

Group: Forum User
Last Active: Sunday, September 14, 2014 10:25 AM
Posted 6/6/2009

Well there is not much in the way of mechanic work here, so I signed up for a refresher course in truck driving that starts Monday. I have been driving buses for the past 23 years, so no one will put me in a truck until I get some OTR driving in, which I cant get because no one will put me behind the wheel, or go to some training. I have only had a Class A CDL for what the past 25 years, that back to before CDLs. Why would I need a Class A to drive buses? Because I'm a mechanic and was authorized to operate the tow truck. But it blow the engine back in the 90s and never got fixed.

Anyway they say because I have been driven auto trans buses for the past 23 years they don't want to take a chance. So I have to spend $500 to get a three day course in truck driving, and if I don't cut the mustard then I can got two more days for $450 more, and if that don't do it then I have to take the three weeks at $3400!!! If I can't do it in three days I guess I don't belong behind the wheel of a big rig.

Posted 6/8/2009

Had my first day of driver training. got to drive this gem around the block.

Was not as bad as I thought i was going to be, I managed to keep the truck moving with out grinding the gears ti much, I have been behind an auto trans for too long.

Posted 6/9/2009

I drove from Brigham City to Logan on hwy 89, then croosed over the edge of town on 10th west to hwy 30, then headed west on 30 to hwy 38 (the road I live on), then back to Brigham City. its a fairlly large block.

today I'll be working on shifting and backing, or so I was told.

Posted 6/10/2009

Well we worked on backing yesterday, I did every thing the first time with out any trouble, so that ended early. I also got to work on shift and driving in traffic as well as making turns. we spent the day driving in Ogden.

The truck has had an air leak that was getting worst. I told them it was the relay valve (over the rear axle). we took the truck to the shop and it has a cracked housing, so diver for today has been canceled so that the truck can be fixed. I'll be back in the seat Thursday. we'll be sticking to Box Elder & Cache Counties for more shifting and driving practice.

Posted 6/11/2009

Today's Installment of "Let's Play Truck Driver".

We start out heading for Ogden, the truck needed fuel and we had to goto Ogden to meet the owner who had the money for the fuel. We are almost there when the truck starts to loose power, we limp off the freeway to the fuel stop, now we wait for the owner to show up wuth the fuel money.

after the truck sits for awhile it startes up and runs fine, but now we are on the way to get th eoil and filters, including fuel filters changed.

after a quick service, we head back to Brigham City an dthe truck is running great again, the owner has not had the truck service for 9 months!!!, fuel filteres were clogged.

On the way back we get flagged at the port for a DOT inspection, but they already have too many trucks backed up so they let us go knowing this truck is used for training and they can get it later if they want to.

So it get the rest of my over the road training in and now I'm done. just need to find work either drivin these trucks of fixed them.

Posted 6/12/2009

I was told by recruiters that without any over the road experience I could not get hider on as a OTR driver, one recruiter (from Swift) told me to get some training like a refresher course and then he could help me out. so I have taken the refresher course and now I'm trying to get a hold of the swift guy again, but I'm thinking they don't work on Fridays as I can't get any one on the phone. My brother-in-law works for swift and told me they are looking for people right now in Utah...

I also talked to a local guy about driving on the weekends when his full time drivers are resting, he keeps his truck run short haul on the week ends with part timer drivers, so I'm looking at that as a way to get a foot in the door.

Posted 6/16/2009

Well I have been putting in Driver apps all over the place and on line, so far the only one that is a go is Swift Transportation, If every thing go smoothly I'll be starting there on July 7. I got some one else slot because they dropped out, so I'm going to be starting sooner then what I mite have been if the other guy was still in the program. So unless a better offer comes up befor July 7 I'll be one of those Swift drivers, hopefully not one you hear about doing something dumb.

Posted 6/23/2009

I'll be startig with Swift on the 7th Jluy, mite even get one of those Wal-Mart runs out of Corinne Utah. I start Orientation on the 7th and it run for 3 days, then I'll be out with a driver/trainer for a few runs, then on my own if I make it throu all that.

Posted 07/09/2009

Just finished 3 days of Orientation with Swift, had to take a Swift Pre-Employment Road test and got to drive this Truck (see below). I'll be running out of the Wal-Mart Distribution Center in Corrine Utah. I have to spend the next 6 weeks or 42 days of driving with a Mentor getting trained the Swift way. After that I'll be cut loose on my own. At the Wal-Mart they don't assign you a truck to keep, it a slip set operation, so I guess I’ll get to drive many of the trucks out there, mostly Volvo's but they are getting some of these that I drove today in too...

~~~~~~> End Of Line <~~~~~~

1965 GMC 3505 Rescue Squad

Jolly Goodfellow ~ Northern Utah ~ 6066 GMC Guy

Jolly
 Posted Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:09 PM
ATHS Member

ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)ATHS Member - (23,372 reputation)

Group: Forum User
Last Active: Sunday, September 14, 2014 10:25 AM
I'll be headed out tonight with my trainer, not sure how long I'll be gone he said pack for a few weeks on the road..... My Trainer is from Motana, so I guess I'll be based out of there for my 6 weeks of training.

Its about 7pm my time, I got a call from my trainer and he will be here in about an hour, then I'll be off on another adventure! I'll try to check in when I can, check my Blog, I'll try to post updates here as I can.

Will I be seeing any of your out on the road, I don't know, but If you rin the western part of the country I'll bet we mite cross paths with out even knowing we did.

~~~~~~> End Of Line <~~~~~~

1965 GMC 3505 Rescue Squad

Jolly Goodfellow ~ Northern Utah ~ 6066 GMC Guy