General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

'84 CLT 9000 Acceleration issue

http://forum.aths.org/Topic134322.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By BadCowdoy - Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:03 AM
I am looking at purchasing an 84 CLT 9000. When I test drove the truck i noticed that when in the high range the truck would rev instead of accelerate. It seems as though it would take too long for the road speed to match the rpm. Is this a problem with the fuel filter or is it some other issue with the truck? This would make it difficult to pass a vehicle, climb hills or possibly even difficult to pull any kind of load. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
By dashby - Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:17 AM
The clutch is slipping.

Dean
By Kid - Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:41 AM
and/or about gone..
By wayne graham - Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:15 AM
Is gone for all practical purposes. Tell them to put in a new one or deduct 1500 from the price. Wayne
By BadCowdoy - Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:50 AM
Thanks for the replies! I will have to see what i can work out with the seller.
By kblackav8or - Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:31 PM
Have the clutch inspected - should be able to tell from the bottom inspection cover.  It is possible it could have been adjusted wrong but that isn't really valid now if it has been driven much like that.  Clutch disk is likely toast.  I would look for yourself and see if you can tell if the flywheel has been overheated or if there is a lot of oil in the housing. Could be a clutch AND other issues.  While you are at it look at the clutch linkage system for worn pivot bushings/arms/cables etc as appropriate.  ... What Wayne said and maybe a little more on top for your trouble. 
By Mark Brubaker - Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:55 PM
You didn't mention an asking price. If the price is reasonable suggest that you'll pay it,,, after they put a clutch in it......