General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Silver series detriots

http://forum.aths.org/Topic134970.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tired Iron - Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:40 PM
Can someone tell me what series did the silver detriots come in? For example 92,71 53, and what made it a silver series? Did it come specifically to the V configuration or did the inline 6 have the silver stamp also?
By junkmandan - Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:34 PM
Yep,and yep .       92s released first in 1982,71s shortly after and 53s in 1985 .

92s had the most significant updates ,primarily for longevity,but economy as well .  92 series changes included the block,heads,crank ,water pump casting and WP seals .Turbos rematched for better low end torque and lower operating range . All series received bypass blowers to reduce parasitic losses and increase economy .

Inline 671 as well as 4-71s got the treatment too .
By Tired Iron - Thursday, September 01, 2011 11:28 PM
Dan so when Detroit went to the silver series  everything after 1982  became the silver series. Does this sound correct? Was this standard policy to upgrade when doing  rebuild to update tp a silver series?
By junkmandan - Friday, September 02, 2011 5:27 AM
TI-----I would hope any legitimate dealer or distributer would update within reason ,but you could imagine some things are hard to justify .................but Detroit had a policy program going that allowed us to warranty heads,block,and crankshaft and credit the claim value toward the purchase of a new Silver engine . So I could sell you a replacement new engine with it's warranty for less money and quicker delivery than fooling around with the original . This policy only applied to the 92 series ,but the 53 series had some special consideration as well for the engines built in Brazil .

Then in 8/84 DD released a brochure ,titled Series 92 Field Action Program,that described problem areas when you were repairing an existing engine ,specifically where to look for weak ares,change point data including date and engine # when the improved parts were installed in production .  Most of the improvements were aimed at keeping water out of the crankcase ,as the bearing loading wouldn't tolerate much water,but there were also things like adding 2 qts. oil capacity by remarking dipsticks, and relocating turbo oil feed line at front of block to be closer to oil pump and a longer piece of steel tubing on the supply line to turbo to prevent hose failures due to turbo heat .
By wayne graham - Friday, September 02, 2011 5:33 AM
Dan, I always thought the siver was an idea that came too late. Kinda like shutting the barn door after the horse got out. 10 years sooner and it would have been a monster of an idea. That is just me thinking. Wayne
By junkmandan - Friday, September 02, 2011 5:38 AM
Yes Wayne------it took a long time to get their act together . In lots of respects,it's like hurricane Irene putting people out of business ! Those that suffered have nothing but bad memories of the hardships .
By dclerici - Saturday, September 03, 2011 5:42 PM
But even though now under different ownership, I REALLY like my DD15. Great mileage and power. Specifically designed for EPA2010 this motor is fantastic in my  opinion. (And the JAKE is unbelievably strong.)
By John_Costley - Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:27 PM
I posted the entire series 92 field action program that Dan mentioned, after he sent it to me.Alot more differences between an alpine and a silver than I would have guessed.Its been a year ago, or more, but the search engine should find it.John
By John_Costley - Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:36 AM
Figured I might as well repost the silver info.John
By John_Costley - Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:47 AM
The Series 92 field action program.John
By kblackav8or - Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:29 AM
John we need to pitch in and buy you a real copy of Adobe Acrobat. 
By Jesse - Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:27 PM
John Costly:

If someone wants it done, I can probably get it done over time this coming week,

I have six Saturdays and a Sunday every week. 

I have Acrobat 4.0 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.  

These programs won't run on a computer using anything later than XT. 

I use Photoshop elements to manage my scanner black and white work fairly well.

I save most of the scans as .jpg files, also. 

A color or grayscale (black and white photos) will become a large file very quickly. 

Later versions are limited to a single computer intstallation.

Big problem is that every page adds up.   

Here's pages 1-6 and Adobe file is getting pretty big. 
By John_Costley - Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:45 PM
kblackav8or (9/18/2011)
John we need to pitch in and buy you a real copy of Adobe Acrobat. 

Next thing, you'll want me to insert pics in my post so they slow everything down for the slow connection crowd, instead of attaching them like I always have.John
By John_Costley - Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:54 PM
Jesse (9/18/2011)
John Costly:

If someone wants it done, I can probably get it done over time this coming week,

I have six Saturdays and a Sunday every week. 

I have Acrobat 4.0 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.  

These programs won't run on a computer using anything later than XT. 

I use Photoshop elements to manage my scanner black and white work fairly well.

I save most of the scans as .jpg files, also. 

A color or grayscale (black and white photos) will become a large file very quickly. 

Later versions are limited to a single computer intstallation.

Big problem is that every page adds up.   

Here's pages 1-6 and Adobe file is getting pretty big. 

Jess,

If you want to, thats fine. I've never minded the individual attachment approach.Alot of stuff is saved that way in my computer and thats how I repost.Alot of it is stored that way because thats how I scanned it, page by page.We have always had some folks here on fixed incomes with slow connection speeds, in the past some would complain about pdf. files.Its always been to post individual jpg.s and keep the KBs down lower for quicker opening on their end.A little harder for me, but a lot easier for them. I try to think about how what I do effects everyone here, thats why I attach pics so they dont slow the whole thread down for the slow connection folks instead of just inserting them in my post.I figure if someone is too lazy to click on the individual attachments then they dont deserve to see what I post anyway.John
By kblackav8or - Monday, September 19, 2011 2:03 AM
I am more thinking when you hang it in the library it would be something someone intends to download and knows what they face with a low speed connection.  I still think as much as you have contributed, it would be sort of a reward like getting a tool for your birthday.  I am sure the full version would get used. 
By junkmandan - Monday, September 19, 2011 5:31 AM
Where else ,other than the KC archives could you ever find this old history . It's kind of like each of us are an extension of the KC archives .  And sometimes I feel like I'm as old as the Smithsonian ! 
By Freightrain - Monday, September 19, 2011 10:36 AM
I'm thinking if someone offers, let them condense them and maybe put them online with the other reference material availabe here on the forums.  That way anyone can see them and not have to search the forum archives.

Yes, we do have to consider the folks with less then optimal connections, so they can enjoy this site as the well as the others do.
By kblackav8or - Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:52 AM
IF it is placed in the library with the size, folks can get it if the so choose.  There are beginning to be more and more choices to get high speed internet so folks will have more options then the limitations of cable or DSL or the expense of satellite internet.  If you have cell phone coverage, you can get an air card or tetherbridge among others as an option.  More stuff like this is coming and soon it will not add much to your cell bill if you have a cell already. 
http://tetherbridge.com/  Works with a blackberry phone

I downloaded Jesse's file in 11 seconds here in Norway via hotel wireless on my laptop.