General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

What Am I for Monday 5/21/12

http://forum.aths.org/Topic163171.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:38 PM
Ready for shipment. The only correct answer is the name above the grille which, of course, we have removed.

http://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/e19c84ce-7af8-46c0-9713-c433.jpg
By clyde318 - Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:55 PM
Sure looks like CCC to me.
By RICKY352PETES - Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:56 PM
COOK?
By Autocarjim - Sunday, May 20, 2012 1:57 PM
COOK BROTHERS
By Daryl Gushee - Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:08 PM
I want to say Cook Bros but because others already have, I'll say White.
By mplsbuffalo - Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:11 PM
Titan
By Bill White - Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:17 PM
I agree with Daryl - White
By ray88 - Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:30 PM
Fabco is my wag - single cab and the single rear wheels like for row crops (though the duals seem to be stacked on the bed)
By Don MacKenzie - Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:11 PM
COOK BROTHERS
By Bill White - Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:18 PM
I also want to add Diamond T and Reo
By Bill White - Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:29 PM
I have been a little off my game the last 3 weeks my brother Jerry has been in the hospital and is gravely ill and there is not a good out look unless they can find something. they are doing a CT scan again tomorrow and I am praying that they find what is causing this. He is real week can't walk or set up.

Bill
By John Suckoe - Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:29 PM
Chalenge Cook Bros.
By Dennis Wells AKA Smiley - Monday, May 21, 2012 12:43 AM
Bill White (5/20/2012)
I have been a little off my game the last 3 weeks my brother Jerry has been in the hospital and is gravely ill and there is not a good out look unless they can find something. they are doing a CT scan again tomorrow and I am praying that they find what is causing this. He is real week can't walk or set up.

Bill

Sorry to hear that Bill
By Brocky - Monday, May 21, 2012 1:57 AM
The front axle and springs look too light for any rugged 6X6 application. Will go with White Autocar??

Bill-- Our prayers are with your brother.
By MikeM - Monday, May 21, 2012 5:20 AM
Our thoughts and prayers, as well Bill.
By mpalma - Monday, May 21, 2012 7:16 AM
Earthking.

Mike P.
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Monday, May 21, 2012 12:46 PM
This may be the most fascinating WAI we have ever run. Earthking is the model of this truck, but it is not the whole story. The Earthking was a Cook Brothers design, which was bought a few years later by White. But none of these is the manufacturer of this truck, or the name over the grille. I think we will all learn some new history when we are done with this. Keep trying.

Bill, as you know we are keeping your brother in our prayers. Hang in there my friend.
By ppsyclone - Monday, May 21, 2012 1:20 PM
Six Wheels AKA Maxi
By mike inw - Monday, May 21, 2012 1:27 PM
Challenge
By clyde318 - Monday, May 21, 2012 1:28 PM
WAG pt. 2. Autocar. Bill,sorry to hear about your brother. Prayers going out for him,and your family.
By Stretch - Monday, May 21, 2012 1:32 PM
Freightliner
By John Dameron - Monday, May 21, 2012 2:48 PM
Bill, sorry to hear your brother is sick. Hope they find the problem and fix it.
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Monday, May 21, 2012 2:53 PM
I never would have come close to guessing this one had I not seen the photos sent to me by Rocky Blakewood. This big Earthking is a Freightliner, built in their Pomona, California plant in 1963. Notice that the emblem is simply "Freightliner", and not "White Freightliner" as their highway tractors were marketed. These monsters were built for Perini Construction for the Kremasta Dam project in Greece. Here is the info Rocky sent me with the photos;

This photo is of the Freightliner Earthking. A fleet of 18 were built in early 1963 at the Pomona, CA plant for the US State Department. They were shipped out of Houston, TX to Greece where they were used in the Construction of a reservoir 250 miles North of Athens.

Power from a CAT D343 engine bolted to an Allison CLBT5560-4 Transmission. Front axle was a Shuler FE16 Wide and the rear axles Rockwell SFDD 4640.

The serial numbers were EL01054 thru EL01071. The E obviously stands for Earthking, my guess is that the L stands for Liner.

The Pomona Plant newsletter, "The NewsLiner" (see how that Liner word keeps sneaking in?) states that at 27,000 lbs (without trailer) these are the biggest tractors ever built be Freightliner. Combination curb weight is 50,000.
In acceptance testing in Irwindale, CA the test unit, with 90,000 lbs of gravel "was able to walk out of the pit at 10 miles an hour". Each tractor sold for a premium price, $35,000.

A humorous note is that all operational notes and markings had to be in Greek. The problem is that no one on the payroll spoke any Greek. The Corporate photograph, Lew Rumpakis, had to ask his parents who had immigrated from Greece to provide the translations.

It would appear this the only time these were built by Freightliner even though they were mentioned as a Freightliner model in a speech given in 1965.

At the 2012 MATS, a picture of one of these, hooked to a trailer, was used in the 70 years of Freightliner Timeline.

Stretch had this 1st; Thanks very much to Rocky Blakewood for the photos and info. Rocky, please feel free to add anything you like to this.

Photos to follow, still having computer problems.

http://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/45b5b934-6748-4f8b-8f00-842d.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/7371bd1d-57df-4851-bb53-45ba.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/f70e5418-7da3-492b-bf07-438b.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/fdd6d697-a0c6-4d4e-b22d-ad4a.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/d6edceb9-6b18-4d82-9a3d-066f.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/43def005-e1aa-4512-99fa-c0e7.jpg

By Bill White - Monday, May 21, 2012 2:55 PM
A big thank you for your thoughts and prayers. You all mean a lot to me.
By ppsyclone - Monday, May 21, 2012 4:20 PM
My guess is since they were to be used out of the USA, the agreement with White did not apply and they were free to use their own name. I have a picture of an Earth King in a book on dump trucks. This one is ID'd as a Cook Bros. It is a 6x6 and is pulling a 50 ton Cook belly dump. It is probably taller than the WAI truck. I really wonder why Freightliner built these. If it was 1963, Cook was winding down truclkproduction. The last one was made in 1964. Perhaps they no longer had the capacity to build something this size.
By MandoRocky - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:37 AM
I had never heard of these trucks two years ago, and still know less than I'd like. More information from anyone about these machines (under any nameplate) would be greatly appreciated.

First picture to share is of some one in the cab with the Freighliner nameplate shown:

Then one with the hood tilted.

Intersting how the bottom of the grille panel is used for the hinge.

No pictures of the cab interior, but here is the instrument panel.

Rocky
By MandoRocky - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:43 AM
Earthking Components:

Power was from a Caterpillar D343 engine, probably the first time ever used by Freightliner

Brocky thought the front suspension looked a little light, this is the only picture I found of that area

And here, upside down is the suspension.

Rocky
By MandoRocky - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:56 AM
The rear suspension crossmember is also a delicate item

And the fifth wheel double articulated to compensate for the construction site terrain.

A comment on the single tires on the drive axles. The second tires wire not mounted to allow the truck to be transported more easily. A practice followed today on the Western Star 6900EX which can be ordered with 110k# planetary rear axles having a track of 90".

There are indications that earth kings were operated by Miles-Sierra, Perini, and Tully & DiNapoli. Anybocy got more info?

Rocky
By Brocky - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:35 AM
Rocky

Were these trucks 6X6 or 6X4?? When I said the front looked light I was under the impression that I was looking at 6X6, But now you posted your picture the truck looks 6X4. The rear definately looks strong enough for any abuse a mine could put to it!!

Thanks much for the valuable info on these oddball Freightliners. I never knew they made such animals until you gave us the Hawaiian sugar cane truck.
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:11 PM
Brocky, these Earthkings in the Freightliner photos are 6x4's. I think there may have been some 6x6 models built by Cook Bros.

Rocky, just a comment about the instrument panels, they are in English and not Greek as you had been told. Perhaps they were translated to Greek later ?? Or perhaps Freightliner built more Earthkings than the 18 that went to Greece ??
By MandoRocky - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:14 PM
I also noticed the contradiction when I found the photo of the IP this week. The next time I see Lew I think I'm going to ask a few more questions about his memories.
It wouldn't be the first time someone's role grew bigger after the fact.
Rocky