General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

ford f850

http://forum.aths.org/Topic188050.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Scrap guy - Sunday, March 17, 2019 12:13 AM
Hi, I just bought a 1969 ford 850 with automatic transmission and I believed is the 544 engine, I can't go over 40 mph on a flat surface road, is there a hi and low rear end switch? and where is located? Thank you
By Geoff Weeks - Sunday, March 17, 2019 2:22 AM
I doubt it would have a 2 spd rear. look on the rear for a shift motor (air or electric) to be sure. It will be on the front to one side (right on single rear or rear rear of a tandem, left on front rear of a tandem) I'm sure that engine is governed, so what RPM does it top out at, Is it possible the gov is mal functioning?
By Scrap guy - Sunday, March 17, 2019 4:26 AM
I didn't consider governor malfunction, in the mean time I will look for the shift motor, this truck is a ten wheeler.Do you know how fast it should go normally?
Thank you very much
By Geoff Weeks - Sunday, March 17, 2019 5:46 AM
I would expect normal hiway speeds, but it depends on how it was spec'd, what tires and rear ratio it has.
By Scrap guy - Sunday, March 17, 2019 11:32 AM
Oh boy I have so much to learn, I will look into that too
Thank you again
By junkmandan - Sunday, March 17, 2019 3:25 PM
With tandem, might have a 3 or 4 speed auxilliary behind the automatic. A local mixer fleet used that combo on about 80 trucks .
By Scrap guy - Saturday, March 23, 2019 5:33 AM
Ok. I'm still trying to figure this out, by any chance do you know where the governor is on this truck? Is a tandem ten wheeler.
Thank you
By Geoff Weeks - Saturday, March 23, 2019 8:05 AM
Most likely, it is in two parts, one is on the distributor, which reads the RPM, and the other on the carb which controls the throttle plates. Vacuums line run between the two.