General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Diamond T 975

http://forum.aths.org/Topic188207.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By bongopete - Thursday, May 02, 2019 1:53 PM
Hey guys,
Similar to the question I had regarding crane fitted White truck, I have another crane truck with questions of exactly what it is. I have been told that this is a Diamond T 975, a special extra long chassis version manufactured specifically for the Canadian Army in WW2. They were fitted with either a Bay City crane before shipping overseas or a Coles crane fitted in the UK.

Now that's all well and good, but these photos are from April 1945 and in New Mexico.

So, my question is;

Is this a Diamond T? I think it is though I admit that this is based on what little I can see of the front end, the fender over the front tire and the venting on the engine cowling.

If this IS a Diamond T, then, is it a 975? or is it something else?

Despite having USA printed on the side of the crane, this isn't an Army vehicle. The closest I can find is a Brockway. So if the 975 was built for the Canadians, how did it end up available for a civilian concern?

I have not been able to find any photo showing the front end of this or a similar vehicle.

Assistance please and of course, thanks in advance.

Bill
By Swishy - Thursday, May 02, 2019 3:17 PM
Dunno wot tiz
but it looks like a 1/2 cab with the boom restin nex 2 driver for mobile n it around the county
cya
By Brocky - Friday, May 03, 2019 12:28 AM
Somehow it looks more Sterling to me??? Check with Jeff Lakaszcyck over on the Just Old Trucks website..
By Brocky - Friday, May 03, 2019 12:28 AM
Somehow it looks more Sterling or Federal to me??? Check with Jeff Lakaszcyck over on the Just Old Trucks website..
By bongopete - Saturday, May 04, 2019 5:34 PM
So, here are some of the details that led me to believe that this is a Diamond. Especially the fenders and engine cowl grill in "Diamond".
By bongopete - Saturday, May 04, 2019 5:41 PM
Here is one of the Diamond T 975 that were built for the Canadian Army. This particular one is seen with the British Coles crane that were fitted to the trucks after their arrival in the UK. How many of the contract that were to be fitted with the Coles and how many were fitted with a Bay City I don't know. Apparently the 975s that were fitted with a manned Bay City crane were done so by Diamond prior to delivery to Canada. The Coles crane sat high and required no modification of the cab but not so with the Bay City.
By Bruce Ohnstad - Monday, May 06, 2019 5:14 AM
Interesting pics you are finding, bongopete. This truck crane has factory made outriggers compared to the earlier White truck crane. But they had ten-fifteen years of development in between.

For a heavy truck such as the 900 series Diamond T, interesting that the crane is considerably smaller than the White/Bay City. We may not be able to answer these questions, but interesting to piece together some speculation.

I agree, it is a heavy WWII Diamond T. I'll suggest the crane may be Byers. The left mounted operators compartment is relatively unusual. Most cranes manufacturers mounted the operator on the right. Byers had the cab on the left. Byers also had rounded sheet metal enclosures. Your pictures show partial rounded sheet metal, partial trimmed edges.

Enclosed are two pictures. One is a Byers crane on a Sterling, showing the crane design. The other is a big DT parked next to a 1932 White 643, which had similar chassis components with the White model 59, but lower center of gravity and C-channel frame compared to the model 59 I-beam frame.

Bruce
By bongopete - Monday, May 06, 2019 2:37 PM
Bruce, Thanks!

The Coles crane was a diesel electric.