General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

1980 International S series conventional low air pressure switch
Print Topic | Close Window

By TShears - Saturday, August 08, 2020 6:07 AM
New to this group and discussion boards in general, so please be patient! I am looking for the location of the low air pressure switch in a newly purchased 1980 International S series conventional semi. Any help would be appreciated!
By Geoff Weeks - Sunday, August 09, 2020 3:08 AM
I can't help with the location, but in that timeframe IHC used a low air pressure switch that looked like an old Ford oil pressure switch, had black plastic "cone shaped" top with one terminal and took a special socket to remove (but could use a 1 1/16 wrench). I'd look on the firewall on both sides (inside and engine side).
Alternatively, you can trace the air plumbing from the "wet tank" one line should go to the air gov and another line should go to the low air pressure switch.
By Wolfcreek_Steve - Sunday, August 09, 2020 6:35 AM
I dismantled one 10 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy. IIRC There was quite an air manifold on the engine side of the firewall and that was probably where it was installed. (mine was a fire truck, so it might have been laid out different than a tractor)