General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

33 Diamond T generator

http://forum.aths.org/Topic189536.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By WillieMakeit - Friday, January 22, 2021 3:34 AM
I have a 33 Diamond T model 211 with the JXA Hercules engine. The gear driven generator has been taken off for a rebuild. One end of the armature shaft goes through a bushing. What keeps the shaft lubricated in the bushing? The other end of the shaft has a bearing.
By Geoff Weeks - Friday, January 22, 2021 4:20 AM
If I am think of the same thing you have, it is "splash" lubed off the timing gears. Oil carried on the gears work back into the bushing.
I'm thinking of a gear drive where the dist is driven off the back of the gen, the front is bolted to the timing cover on the front of the engine. Is this what you have?
By WillieMakeit - Friday, January 22, 2021 5:06 AM
The generator is bolted to I believe the timing cover on the right front side of the engine. Nothing comes off the back of it. The distributer is on the left side.

The reason I ask this is the company doing the rebuild stated it appeared the generator shaft was seizing to the bushing. He was questioning how it was lubricated.
By WillieMakeit - Wednesday, January 27, 2021 8:34 AM
The generator is totally fried. A company wants $425 to have it rewound. Any other suggestions? Anyone have a lead on a generator for the Hercules JXA engine?
By WillieMakeit - Thursday, January 28, 2021 5:54 AM
I believe it's an Autolite GAR 4515.