General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

What Am I for Thursday 9/02/10

http://forum.aths.org/Topic95648.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:38 PM
It's already September, time for some of you to think about getting your snow removal equipment ready for the winter. Emblem removed. Photo from Bill White.  

By peterj - Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:44 PM
Could it be a FWD...
By ray88 - Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:52 PM
Wag from someone with no snow experience - Coleman

ray
By Don MacKenzie - Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:20 PM
SICARD
By tamangel - Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:23 PM
beat me Don,  agree with SICARD, about 1969...

Mike W
ATHS Member
By Daryl Gushee - Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:42 PM
Sicard
By clyde318 - Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:58 PM
Sicard for me as well.
By ScottM - Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:00 AM
Most definitely a Sicard
By chocko - Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:56 PM
Sicard. Why does it have right hand steering? Or is that done on purpose with developing? Joe D.
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:56 PM
Once Don MacKenzie showed the way, everyone after him was right ! This snowblower is a 1969 Sicard, built in Canada. Sicard specialized in snow removal equipment, but builtr some road trucks too. As for the RHD, I can't explain it, but I have seen photos of other Sicards with this option. Perhaps someone knows why they built trucks with both l/h and r/h steering ? Thanks to Bill White for the photo and the info below.

"Sicard A Division of SMI-Snowblast, Inc. located in Watertown, New York, and Sicard SSI Group Inc. of Knowlton, Quebec are the corporate descendants of the pioneering technology of  Arthur Sicard was born in Saint-Leonard-de-Port-Maurice, Quebec on December 17,1876 and died on September 13, 1946. He invented the snow blower in 1925 and in 1927 he sold Sicard's first commercially available self-propelled rotary snow blower to the town of Outremont, Montreal, Canada. It consisted of a four wheel drive truck chassis and truck motor, another motor to drive the snow blower head, and a snow blower head with two adjustable chutes. This invention enabled the operator to throw soft, hard, or packed snow over ninety feet away from the snow blower truck or directly into the back of a truck. Although the Sicard snow blowers of today have changed in many ways, they still reflect Mr. Sicard's preoccupation with quality, strength, durability, and efficiency. The rugged functionalism of these machines is the reason so much original Sicard equipment can still be found in operation around the world. Sicard supplies a complete line of industrial snow blowers, runway sweepers, and other related products ( plows, spreaders, etc. ) for airports, municipalities, and military bases worldwide."
By ppsyclone - Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:24 PM
Since snowblowers tend to be used where snow is the heaviest, it stands to reason that a number of them wind up clearing mountain roads. Mountain roads, especially older ones tended to be two lane and very windy. Right hand steering would give the operator extra vision towards the edge of the road to follow the edge. These roads were frequently marked with 6-8 foot high poles on the shoulder to give plow operators something to follow. Considering vision could be very poor at high altitudes, where the wind swirled the snow even after the snow had stopped, a driver  needed every advantage he could muster. This was especially true above timberline. As a veteran of driving trucks in the Colorado mountains more than 30 years ago, I can tell you those roads were very scare. Most have been rebuilt into 4 lane roads and reshaped to straighten some of the hairpins. I drove the old Wolf Creek pass road before it was rebuilt and it would put the fear of God into you on a clear summer day. One hairpin after another with large drop offs all over the place. I only went over and back once before it was rebuilt but it is indelibly etched in my mind. It was winter and it was snow packed but fortunately it was not snowing. My hat is off to the folks who drove plows up there. They had to have been a breed apart.
By Park Olson - Friday, September 03, 2010 2:07 AM
Would the RHD have something to do with airport runway "conga line" operation? 

whoops, didn't see Brian's post, that makes sense,,,

Re:  "Riverside Slide"   C.W. McCall
By Jan van Eck - Friday, January 28, 2011 9:26 AM
Remember that the original (and most current) customers for these machines were cities.  The operator needed to line up the edge of the augur with the curbing to make a clean cut.  Where there were improperly parked or abandoned autos, the operator had to be able to see the distance to clear the obstacle.  Hence right-hand drive.

I used to live in Montreal about 1970 and watched these big machines work Dorchester Blvd.  The operator would run next to the curb, and a flagman would be at the 11-o'clock position waving the dump truck into the proper position.  As each dumper filled, the next one in the conga line behind  would be rolled into place and the procession would continue.  In one pass, they had the entire boulevard lickety-split clean.  The dumpers would run over to the St. Lawrence River to unload the snow right into the harbor. The drivers would never wear seatbelts and kept the door partly open so that if they mis-judged it and the truck started its fatal journey into the drink, they could jump clear.  Did happen a few times, but they never did lose the driver (at least, while I lived there).  

The City of Montreal only used the big monster machines, I think type 933, that had the huge engine in the back driving the augur through a long shaft, and the front engine driving the wheels.  We would get falls of 40 inches in 24 hours, and these machines really chewed up the show. Hoo-rah!
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Friday, January 28, 2011 4:10 PM
Thanks Jan. Welcome to the site !